Fennel is a warming oil that improves circulation, relieves flatulence, reduces stress and soothes stomach and menstrual cramping.
Best ways to use Fennel essential oil:
- Direct Palm / Nasal Inhaler: Place a drop of oil in the palm of your hand, gently rub the hands together, cup your hands around your nose and take a deep breath in through the nose. You can also add several drops to nasal inhaler and breathe in throughout the day. You can repeat multiple times though out the day.
- Diffuser: Fennel is a great addition to add to a respiratory (add frankincense and eucalyptus) blend or an antimicrobial blend to diffuse throughout house (blend with lavender and lemongrass).
- Add to a carrier oil and apply to abdomen to relieve flatulence and cramping (great to add with peppermint).
- Add to a massage oil to relive muscle aches (great with peppermint and lavender).
- Add a couple of drops to a facial steam bath to help break up mucus (great with peppermint or black spruce).
Other oils it blends well with:
lavender, rose geranium and sandalwood
Fun facts: The Greeks consumed fennel to build courage and to prolong life. The English household of King Edward I consumed more than 8 pounds of fennel a month.
Cautions: known as non-toxic and non-sensitizing. Can cause mild skin irritation. Contraindicated during pregnancy and for breast-feeding mothers. Avoid in cases of epilepsy and estrogen-linked cancers. Use in low concentration.